Monday, June 15, 2015

Comparing the SPED processes of Different Educators to Tomorrow's Learning World

I think most of the educators I've interviewed lately and seen on YouTube and Ted Talks speaking about SPED and referrals and alternative approaches all have the same idea:  as educators, we need to deeply evaluate our students in-classroom (and home as parents) before automatically labeling them as having learning disabilities.  We need to alter our strategies and accomodations and keep trying those new approaches with the child.  Inevitably, the parent needs to be an active and involved member of the team, and support the teacher as he or she evaluates the child's process.
For future, I believe the schools have positive reinforcements ahead with technology and more involved "helicopter parents" (let's hope this doesn't turn a positive into a negative).  Being an older parent myself, I'm very tuned in to my son and all of his academic achievements, social and teacher interactions, etc..
As for the child, nurturing your child's motivation and optimism over subjects he or she likes in school can only help their learning and academic prowess.  As parents, we need to study their actually study of homework and assignments to see where they are in their progress and check in regularly with the teacher.  I know that when I become a teacher, I plan to communicate with parents as much as possible...as much as they'll allow me.

All students begin their educational careers with needs. For many students, it is the need for guidance by a professional educator who can expand their knowledge.  While each student brings a different level of knowledge and skills to his or her first class, the individual’s needs are typically met by a highly-qualified educator. However, there are children who have unique needs that are atypical for children of their age and may not be within the expertise of the general education classroom teacher. It is during this time that the teacher (or parent, administrator, or counselor) recognizes a consistent need or problem exhibited by the student. The recognition of a discrepancy in the student’s academic, social/emotional, behavioral, and/or physical ability and his or her age may signal the need for additional academic or behavioral supports.During this phase, it's important to call a meeting with the parents or guardians.  The teacher should provide examples and all involved should evaluate the need.

I believe the IEP teams for SPED students are integral and important to the future of Special Education in general.  After watching the Finnish and School of One videos, and seeing how often they met involving just one student, I was astounded at the time and passion they put into the learning and improvement of each child.  This is what we need to keep pushing for in our future in education.  Overall, I hope to not lose the child's motivation and optimism in general.  Nurturing these qualities in students and children of our own is important for them to enjoy their educational process.  Nurturing these qualities in some children will require extra care, but the time and energy adults expend in this way will help strengthen students'/children's motivation over time.





No comments:

Post a Comment